Sunday, November 10, 2013

Claypot Steamboat My Second Home - Dinner - Penang Bayan Lepas

As a Chinese, steamboat is a common cooking style in our community. During my childhood time, we only enjoy the steamboat once a year, which during the reunion dinner held on Chinese New Year eve. Nowadays, restaurants that offer steamboat could be easily found in Penang, some of them even launch the buffet package which named as 'All You Can Eat'.

The common steamboat is always refer to a metal or stainless steel pot that heated by charcoal in old days, and later being replaced by liquefied petroleum gas and electric. However, recently I discovered that there is a home style restaurant who offered the claypot steamboat. The 'restaurant' is named as 'My Second Home'.

My Second Home Claypot Steamboat
My Second Home Claypot Steamboat
Claypot Steamboat
My Second Home is located at Persiaran Sungai Dua, Gelugor, Bayan Lepas, Penang. It is close to Penang JPJ Office, by following the same road then you could notice this home style restaurant is on your left while JPJ is on your right with few steps further.

My first impression on the restaurant was it really looked like my neighbour's house during my childhood time in a village. Upon entering, we were welcome by the staff and being lead to our dining table. When I looked around, I found nothing served except for those vege, noodles, and some fries. I was so surprise until the staff gave us a form to make our order. Then only I know this restaurant was practising different style of buffet which you made order instead of taking food by yourselves.

My Second Home Interior
My Second Home Interior
There were total 5 soup base for customer preference, which include chicken soup, tomyam soup, herbal soup, pickle soup and anchovies soup. We did noticed one of the customer requested for Bah Kut Teh soup and they got it with additional charges. For us, we took the anchovies soup. Initially I thought the anchovies soup was prepared with little anchovies and adding in seasoning cube to make the soup base. However, I was wrong and being so impressed when I saw the soup base was came together with lot of anchovies.

Anchovies Soup Base Claypot Steamboat
Lets see what ingredients that we ordered...

The ingredients
The first plate consisted of oyster mushroom, winter-melon, lotus, seaweed, enoki mushroom, fish ball,  quail egg and handmade chicken meat with eggs.

The ingredients
While the second plate included white pomfret, prawn, squids, cuttlefish, clam. Besides, there is another plate with different type of ball include prawn ball, crab ball, crab meat ball, lobster ball, squid ball, seafood taufu, etc. In terms of vegetable, we took some cabbage that readily served in a basket.

Vegetables in the basket
It was my first experience enjoying claypot steamboat with anchovies soup base. The soup was quite fresh and tasty. In terms of the ingredients, not much surprising as it was quite common in every steamboat house except for the fish ball. I guess it was made by the restaurant itself because it is so spongy where I never came across.

After the first round, we almost full but still insisted to take second order by filled again our request in the form provided. For our package, the fish, prawn and squid were not listed in the form but they did served it. It meant these seafood items only available once per visit. If your stomach needs to be filled by carbohydrate before it fully occupied, then you could take some noodles to steam it yourself.    

Beside the main dish, My Second Home does offer some snacks, such as the popcorn, 'pau, jelly and ice cream.

The Snack
In terms of drink, there were orange juice and mango juice for your preference. Plain water and ice also ready for self service.

The Drinks
In overall, we are satisfy with the visit. The package is at RM21 per person. Although the ingredient served might not  really worth with the price quoted but if you wish to enjoy the home style claypot steamboat that not commonly find in the city, then My Second Home is worth to be visited.

My Second Home
No.608A, MK 13, Persiaran Sungai Dua,
Gelugor, 11700
Penang
5.350271, 100.303279
Business hour : Monday - Sunday(5.30pm to 10.00pm)

Related Post
Ah Soon Kor Har Mee (Prawn Noodles) - Breakfast Penang Georgetown
Joo Leong Cafe Half Boiled Egg and Toasted Bread - Breakfast Penang Bayan Lepas

No comments:

Post a Comment