Monday, October 28, 2013

Wat Arun (Temple of Dawn) Part II- Bangkok 2013

As mentioned in Part I, after we visited the Ordination Hall, we then proceed to the Phra Prang. Phra Prang is the main landmark of Wat Arun where its image could be found on the 10 Baht coin. Have you noticed?

10 Baht
There are total 5 prang (Khmer-style tower) where the huge centre prang is surrounded by four smaller satellite prang. The prangs were constructed during the reign of King Rama II and completed during the rule of King Rama III. I'm not too sure how high is the centre prang but commonly it is described to be around or over 70 metres. This is the reason why this landmark could be seen from far, even during you are on the Chao Phraya River.

Phra Prang Wat Arun
Before enter the compound, please make sure you proceed to the counter below...

Wat Arun Ticketing Counter
Haha..it is the ticketing counter la...Due to it is not next to the entrance, initially we thought that the entry was free. But later being stopped by the guard and directed us to get the ticket as below:

Wat Arun Ticket
Each ticket only cost us 50 Baht. Oh ya, please also check your attire before enter the compound or you would be once again stopped by the guard. The attire requirement is quite similar to The Grand Palace. I did noticed the guard got issued scarf to those who not met the attire requirement but not too sure whether need to pay or not.

Wat Arun Entrance
Upon entering the compound, the first image we saw was the Golden Buddha. I don't know how the locals named the Buddha but in Malaysia, we named it as Happy Buddha.

Golden Happy Buddha
In front of the Golden Buddha are the donation boxes. Each box is labelled with the purpose of the fund use for.

When I faced the Phra Prang and look upward, I had nothing to say but just voice out 'wow..wow..and still wow..'.

Phra Prang Wat Arun
When we walked close to the prang, we could noticed that the prang is decorated with the colorful porcelain which believe from China that being used previously as the ballast by boat from China to Bangkok.

Porcelain that encrusted on the Phra Prang
Besides, there are also rows of demon and monkey that designed to support the tower. It is similar to those we saw in The Grand Palace.

The tower is supported by the demons

The centre prang allowed the visitors to climb up, provided you are not scared by the steep staircase. When I looked up from the bottom, I really scared after looking on the step.

Centre Prang Wat Arun - Steep Step
However, I don't want to regret and miss the top view from the highest point of the centre prang. I saw many people include those elder ladies who also managed to do it, why not me!! So, even with fast pumping heart, I decided to go for it.

The steep staircase could be divided into two sections. Although the first section is quite steep, but I believe the angle is around 45 degree. It is manageable by most of the people. The first section will bring us to the middle level of the prang. Although this level could give us some of the top view, but some scenery still blocked by certain structures.

After snap shot few photos, I move on to the second section of the staircase. I think the angle of staircase at this section is closed to 90 degree. No problem for me to climb up because I was facing the Prang.

When I reached the highest level, I found that it is worth for me to do so. I was having the top view without any blockage of building, some more I could view the activity on Chao Phraya river. Besides, from top I could take a photo on entire satellite prang that surrounding the centre prang.

View from Highest Point of Centre Prang

One of the four small satellite prang
The top part of the centre prang
After took my time appreciating the scenery on the highest point, it was time for me to go down. I really panic when look at the steep staircase. I had made few attempts to go down but failed because really scary. I just wonder I would be fainted if continue to look at it. But no matter how, I still need to going down. Luckily I caught an idea finally. The trick was stepping down the staircase by not looking down from top. We shall making our body not faced down but faced side, then hold tightly the railing and going down step by step. By follow this method, I reached the base at last..haha..

Before we left the Wat Arun, we noticed that there was a statue stand up in front of the Chao Phraya river. Without knowing who is him, I still took a photo. After all, during I gathered the information then only I found out the statue is King Rama II. Luckily I snap shot before left the attraction.

King Rama II Statue
In overall, Wat Arun especially the Phra Prang really provide me a good learning lesson in understanding the architecture, as well as the history behind. It is worth to give it a visit. However, I read from The Nation that reported the Wat Arun stupa to be closed for three years to undergo repair and renovation. Perhaps those who interested to visit Wat Arun could check the status for better planning to avoid disappointment.

Related Post
Wat Arun (Temple of Dawn) Part I - Bangkok 2013
Wat Pho (Reclining Buddha) - Bangkok 2013


No comments:

Post a Comment