Tuesday, November 26, 2013

BTS - Self-dependent Bangkok Transportation

Recently I was informed by friend that he was having bad experience during his Bangkok trip. I'm so surprise when heard his feedback because I'm having such wonderful experience in Bangkok few months ago. After chatting then only I knew that he was so disappointed with the transportation which was the tuk tuk that over charged him. As a foreigner that not good with the local language, he has no choice but to accept any request by the tuk tuk driver when they were brought to the strange places.

Although my friend was having such bad experience with the tuk tuk service, but I strongly believe he was so unlucky to met up with the dishonest driver because most my friends have no problem in taking the tuk tuk service.

Frankly speaking, I'm the type of traveller that dislike such bad experience that going to spoil my entire travel plan. I always prefer to take public transport like MRT or bus rather than taxi and tuk tuk. It is because MRT or bus is having their declared travelling route, but taxi and tuk tuk is totally depending on the driver. How would we know they are bringing us to the actual destination? Due to this reason, almost 95% of my Bangkok trip was depending on the BTS system and I had no issue with the transportation at all. Therefore, I would like to share out my experience with BTS and some attractions that could be reached by BTS, to serve as some tips to visitor who prefer the public transport like me.

Bangkok Mass Transit System (BTS Skytrain)
BTS is also commonly called as sky train due to the railway is an elevated system. There are two main route service provided by BTS which are Sukhumvit Line and Silom Line, and it is consists of  34 stations.

BTS Route
If your flight arrived at Suvarnabhumi Airport, you could take the Airport Rail Link to BTS Phaya Thai station and then continue the journey with BTS. In case your flight is arrived at Don Mueang Airport, then you could take the Airport A1 Bus to BTS Mo Chit station and take BTS to your destination.

Is there any hotel located within walking distance from the BTS station? The answer is 'Yes'. Since I stayed in Manhattan Bangkok Hotel, hence I only able to list out those hotels nearby the BTS Asok station. The hotels include Manhattan Bangkok Hotel, Westin Hotel Sukhumvit, Four Points By Sheraton and Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit. All hotels listed here could be easily reached within 5 to 10 mins walk from Asok station. If you prefer other area, of course you could search the hotels out there on-line.

Below are some attractions which could be reached by BTS (places where we visited earlier):


Regarding the ticket, there are few options offer to the visitor like us, but commonly people prefer either single journey ticket or Rabbit Card (store value card). If you plan to take BTS as your main transportation in Bangkok, then it is recommended to purchase the Rabbit Card. To get a new card, I paid for 200 Baht. 50 Bath is for issuing fee (promotion until 31 Dec 2013, regular fee at 150 Baht), another 50 Baht is for card deposit (can be redeemed back upon returning the card), and 100 Baht as stored value. Purchase and top up card value to be done at ticketing counter. By using this Rabbit Card, you could skip the long queue especially during after work or after school hours. Furthermore, the trip fare is cheaper if Rabbit Card is used instead of the single journey ticket.

Adult Rabbit Card
Although the BTS ticket fare is not as cheap as Malaysia and Singapore (regardless the exchange rate), but we are safe from any risk of overprice that possibly charged by the dishonest taxi or tuk tuk driver. Hence, if I am to visit Bangkok again, BTS would be still my top preferred transportation.

Related Post
Bangkok - Dong Mueang Airport to City by Bus and BTS
Bangkok-Dining & Shopping in Don Mueang Airport

No comments:

Post a Comment